Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Hot Rodders - Big Hot Rod


Yet another Jerry Cole/Crown Hot Rod release, but really despite the budget label I think this is a fantastic album, better than yesterday's post with The Winners and on par with some of the more established surf classics. Not only are all the instrumentals fun in some manner, but the vocal tracks are as well. In fact, I'd say that without a doubt the standout here is "Spirit of America' in which an exploitation-film-style monotone voice tells you about an 11' tall, 60' long unbeatable dragster between evil laughs. This is the weird stuff y'all, and if nothing else this is worth it for that track alone

Side A:

  1.  On the Track
  2. Fine 39
  3. 27 tub
  4. Super Charged
  5. The Screamer

Side B:

  1.  Red Hot Rod
  2. Spirit of America
  3. Drag Shoot
  4. Wild Willys
  5. The Creamer

GET IT HERE

7 comments:

KL from NYC said...

Thank you.

jazzbebop said...

Great music!!!
Send more. Cheers from Brasil!

Anonymous said...

mike
Please repair the link!

Anonymous said...

I was just looking for this online. I bought the record at a thrift store and it rocks and I want some Mp3's. Any chance of putting it back up? It would be greatly appreciated.

KL from NYC said...

Anonymous:
Ace UK has bought all the Modern-RPM-Crown master tapes, and they released these tracks on CD -- I think it's on their Jerry Cole collection -- together with other tracks he recorded for them.
Ace also released all the Joe Houston masters, and the other R&R tracks from the Crown budget LPs on other comps (I can't remember the titles).
If you want to make mp3s, the sound on the CDs is much cleaner considering the cheap, noisy plastic that was always used to press their LPs.

Unknown said...

Thank You for posting this! My Uncle bought this for me back in 1976. As a 6 year old kid I had no clue what I had.

Anonymous said...

Sharebee from old internet museum. with rapidshare, megaupload, badongo, etc.