Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Wiggles and Waggles - Hey! Mr. Hoolihan \ Rock and Roll Session


Wiggles and Waggles are a joke band as far as I can tell, though I'm not able to find anything more than this single. The songwriting credits go to Roy Bennet and Sid Tepper, who have written tons of songs for Elvis, Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Eartha Kitt, Frank Sinatra, Cliff Richard, just look up Roy Bennet on wikipedia. Given the nature of these songs, I would venture a guess that this is their own little project, since there doesn't seem to be any other star involved, at least in a prominent way.

I held off on posting this because if you'd take a gander up there, my copy of Rock and Roll Session is completely destroyed, but I knew I'd heard it somewhere. Sure enough, I turn to the Las Vegas Grind series of compilations, who have what sounds like the exact same thing (it's not exactly coverable) under the name Louie Overseas with the song title changed to "A Studio Session". Sure, sometimes compilations foul up the name in hopes to get away without paying royalties, but this doesn't even give a hint. So here's their copy, not in terrificly better shape than mine. I've renamed it to the real thang
Rock and Roll Session







Hey! Mr. Hoolihan is much more musical (I've played it on my surf show). It's a fun rock & roll instrumental with occaisional vocal bits contemplating the vaguely scandalous thing affecting their friend Mr. Hoolihan.
Hey! Mr. Hoolihan






No comments: