Monday, January 5, 2009

Ripping 45s or Why This Blog Is Going To Be Pretty Good For A While


Brandonio over at Rock is Dead R.I.P. was urging me in a recent thread to post some more ripped 45s. While I was planning on doing some eventually, the great Craigslist god was listening and put up a post in Baton Rouge for ~200 45s "from the 50s and 60s". In the free section. So I hauled my butt over there yesterday and picked them up and, as I was warned, a lot are in pretty poor shape... but mostly cosmetically. In fact, most of these sound better than the haul I had on Saturday (which also yielded a few gems). I've only gone through about 40 or so, but from looking there's a ton of great rockabilly, a few instrumentals though not necessarily surf, and a bunch of other weird things that I might put up here for giggles. Going through, I've been keeping about 3/4 of them. Oddly enough, not many of these are big names at all, but I really don't think this is somebody's refuse pile, since a lot of these fetch double-digit prices online. And they're great. I don't really need to give you examples here, because we're going to listen to those examples for a pretty good while on this blog.

But I want to go back to Brandonio's comment for a second. I've tried doing youtube videos for 45s in the past and I'm probably not going to bother with that, but a lot of the 45s I have are out of print but available elsewhere on the internet. I don't want to steal another blog's thunder by reposting their stuff (I know, who am I kidding?), but Youtube videos might be a different story, since you can't save the music as easily, not to mention sound quality issues. 

So what are your thoughts?

No comments: