Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lovehog

I don't see the point in post-concert wrap-ups but I had no idea what I was going to see last night. I don't think they were even on the Hi-Ho's schedule and I didn't know the name of the band until I saw it on a poster before I entered.

Before Lovehog themselves played they backed up Jessica Griffith, apparently from Nashville, who had a great soulful Blues voice that had me impressed and made for a real great atmosphere. She's got a myspace here

I'd probably write more about her if I hadn't been so surprised by Lovehog, who were local. While I'm not the hugest fan of their name it's a pretty good description of their sound: country/blues slide guitar influenced Mudhoney sludge along the lines of Bantam Rooster, 20 Miles or the Black Keys. I love those sort of bands and can honestly say that they are at least as good as any of them. Each member of the 3-piece stood out on their own musically and complimented each other well.

Unfortunately their Myspace isn't a great demonstration of how good they sounded live, but they're about to start recording their new album.

No comments: